We all want our families to be healthier so that they have more energy, perform better at school, and live long, happy lives! Small nutrition and lifestyle changes can add up to big improvements in your family’s health. I’ve included both nutrition and lifestyle tips here. These tips are super brief and easy-to-implement meant to give you a lot of quick ideas to use right away. Go at your own pace. The more of these you implement the healthier your family will become!
- Eliminate soda—both regular and diet. They add nothing to your health. At all.
- Make a “no junk food in the house” rule. If it’s not in your house, you won’t eat it!
- Set a good example. Don’t expect the rest of your family or those around you to eat healthy if you don’t!
- Make artificial ingredients a NO go! No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it!
- Try new a new variety of seafood or cut of meat, then find a recipe and try it.
- Hydrate! Start drinking an extra glass or two of water each day!
- Grow your own food. Start a garden: in a pot, in your yard or community.
- Get some fresh air and exercise. Daily walks can do wonders for your health.
- Ditch toxic (yes toxic) seed/crop oils. That means replace canola, soybean, cottonseed, and corn oils with butter, ghee, and olive, avocado, and coconut oils.
- Have a veggie eating contest. Keep track of the veggies your family eats and crown a winner at the end of the week/month.
- Replace deodorants containing aluminum with a natural, chemical-free product.
- Walk in the sand/ocean. You’ll absorb minerals, exfoliate your feet, and the earth’s negative ions can help neutralize free radicals (fresh air and sunshine is all good too!)!
- Walk your dog.
- Get some sun. The sun provides us with the most usable form of Vitamin D.
- Try baking soda and/or vinegar as nontoxic cleaners in your home.
- Make your own treats! Homemade tastes better than store-bought, and you don’t need artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives!
- Go to a farmer’s market and buy a veggie that you’ve never tried. Find a recipe and enjoy!
- Go for a walk in the woods. Studies show a huge increase in immune system function after spending time in the forest.
- Don’t drink your calories (at least not most of them). This means juice, soda, milk. Save the calories for your meals!
- Eat fermented foods like real (refrigerated) sauerkraut, kimchi, or yogurt (not the ones full of sugar). Fermented foods are rich in gut-healthy probiotics.
- Get together with friends. Socializing reduces stress and anxiety.
- Take the stairs.
- Make your own condiments. Homemade salad dressing and mayo are easier to make than you would expect, and MUCH healthier & less expensive!
- Bring your lunch to school or work). Not only will you not be stuck with less than healthy restaurant fare, you’ll save money!
- Ban sugar, as in the refined stuff. Say no to food that contains sugar, high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, cane syrup solids, or corn sugar. Read the labels!
- Prioritize sleep. It’s just as important as good nutrition!
- Have fun! Do things you like to do. It’s a stress reducer.
- Remove chemicals from your home (air fresheners and cleaning products for example).
- Switch out your beauty products for ones that are non-toxic. Good brands include (always check the ingredients of individual products) Araza, Beauty Counter, Lily Lolo, 100% Pure, and Mineral Fusion.
- Switch out your plastic cups and storage containers to glass.
- Use cast-iron, ceramic, and stainless steel cookware instead of Teflon/non-stick pans, which release toxins when heated.
- Add superfoods to your diet like liver, sardines, kale, grass-fed butter, pasture-raised eggs, and richly-colored produce.
- Take a bath with Epsom salts. You’ll relax and absorb magnesium at the same time!
- Chew your food. Take time to chew each bite at least 20 times. Your digestion will thank you!
- Eat some really dark chocolate (80% cacao or higher). It contains magnesium and phytonutrients!
- Try roasting or grilling your veggies for better flavor. Just toss in oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake/grill!
- Try cleaning with microfiber cleaning cloths and water! Norwex cloths work great for cleaning and disinfecting without using chemical cleaners!
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to a glass of water, and drink 20 minutes before meals to aid digestion.
- Learn something new. Can be anything—learn a sport, a language, an instrument, how to cook…
- Slow down! Take time to smell the roses!
Don’t let perfection get in the way of progress! Just keep making positive changes! Let me know how it goes!
Get my FREE guide: 6 Ways to Get Your Kids to Eat Veggies!
All content on CindyHilliard.com is for information purposes only and is not to be used in place of medical advice or treatment. Always seek the care of a medical professional if you have health concerns.
Some links on CindyHilliard.com may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small commission if a purchase is made by clicking a link, with no additional cost to you. I only share links to products that I truly use and recommend!
Cindy Hilliard Nutrition is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com